Sunday, November 9, 2008

Evaluating the Week

The week went smoothly. The review sessions Tuesday-Thursday were great! It really catered to our needs and allowed us to work individually to accomplish our goals. These goals were basically making flashcards of basic information that we NEED to know (like lab values and stuff we just don't get), doing practice tests to make a 90%, and doing 500 practice NCLEX questions. I still have to do 350 questions, but I really have felt productive. I know that I will make an 850 or higher on Thursday.

The lecture at St. Jude Children's Research Hospital was excellent! I was really impressed with the speaker. She was a children's psychologist, which made her even more appealing to me because my first degree is in psychology. She spoke of pallitive care for pediatric patient's and their family. Really powerful and inspriational stuff. At one point she was sharing some stories of hope, and had everyone in the audience wiping tears from their eyes!

My only beef with the lecture was that NO ONE knew what time it started! On our 'master schedule' it said that the lecture started at 9am. The email that we got with information about the lecture said that registration started at 8am. Okay, an hour for registration, I assumed that it still started at 9am and I would leave my house at 8:30am-plenty of time to get my silly name tag that I didn't even wear! Boy, was I wrong. It apparently started at 8:30am. Most of the second year students walked in late! I was so embarrassed. I am never ever late to anything. I was raise in the school of 'the early bird gets the worm' so always be early.

After the lecture I went to the dentist and was pleasantly surprised in many ways. First, I didn't have any cavities. The dark spots that I was worried about were only stains and the AMAZING dental hygienist got them right off. So, I finally got my teeth cleaned after four years! They feel so great! I totally need to find the right dentist and I can get that done all the time. The second way I was surprised was that this dentist gave me a plan of care to help with my TMJ issues. He was the very first dentist in four years to have suggested what he did. He was amazing and was so willing to help me. It was a great way to end the week.

Now I am studying and getting school work done. I know that these last two and a half weeks of classes and clinical will fly by; then I will be in my NCLEX review, seeing my mom and sister, and GRADUATING! Craziness.

-Krystal


Currently Listening to: Bella's Lullaby, Twilight (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack)
Currently Reading: Nursing Leadership book

No comments: