Sunday, November 2, 2008

Yummy in my Tummy!

(All my supplies for cooking. Notice the TN VOLS sticker on the wall)



I got my Betty Crocker on this weekend and made two (!!) batches of wonderful pumpkin cookies from 'The Good Apple' blog. I rarely cook for two reasons: I don't have the patience if the recipe turns out bad, which it usually does. I also don't have the time, you know, silly old nursing school keeps me pretty busy these days. So cooking these cookies has been one of the few occasions that I pulled out my limited cooking supplies to create something really good and easy (imagine that!).

I did have three major challenges as I started cooking.

First, I don't have a whisk with me in the state of Tennessee. It was one of the few utensils I didn't think to bring across the country. This problem was solved by using my biceps and a fork.

Second, I didn't know how or what 'creaming sugar and butter' meant. This was solved by calling my mom at the butt-crack of dawn (okay it was 9am in CA, so that shouldn't count as butt-crack status). She told me that I had to de-thaw the butter to get it squishy and slowly mix in the sugar. This is one spot that a whisk or hand held mixer would have come in handy.

(Butter getting soft)


Finally, I forgot to buy flour, which was one of the key ingredients in the recipe. I fixed this by running to to store as I waited for my butter to get soft.

(My MIA flour, not MIA anymore)


(Oops! Silly me! Can't make cookies without flour.)


Other than these three issues, I fared pretty well with my cooking adventure. Here's some fun pictures! Enjoy!


(Pre-flour dough)
(Doesn't this look like barf? Or is it because I will be a nurse that I think this?)



(The dough after the flour. It looks MUCH better!)


(Look at all those gorgeous cookies!)


(Me with the final product. Not bad if I do say so myself!)

Love-
Krystal


Currently Listening to: Boston (Live), Kenny Chesney

1 comment:

mom said...

you must always buy the right ingredients for the job
and do not say butt crack on the internet